Sunday, July 19, 2009

More Simple Summer Soup Suppers...

Yes, nothing gets amm inspired quite like talking about food, so I am now allowing my little one to be crazy in her little "exer-saucer" (a fabulous containerizing toy) whilst I contribute my two new favorite dinners, which tie in perfectly with messybessy's lovely homemade supper. The summer soup, i.e. the incredibly easy vegetable based soup, is one of the best things for the "mom-on-the-go" or the "mom-not-going-anywhere-but-still-not-feeling-like-slaving-over-the stove". My two new faves are a SUPER easy (but delish!) tomato soup and a similarly idiot-proof corn chowder.

The tomato soup came about when my lovely husband and I ate at Panera once. Panera is a good place for a sandwich and cup of soup, and we partook of their "Creamy Tomato Bisque" or some such fancy name. The soup was tasty, but I just KNEW that this chain restaurant wasn't smashing up fresh tomatoes for this, and if they weren't, how hard is it to open a can of tomatoes myself? And how much cheaper? Sure enough, I picked up a large can of diced tomatoes (actually truth be told I picked up the basil, herb diced tomatoes, even easier) added it to some sauteed onions, poured in chicken broth (no, not homemade - though homemade would be delicious), warmed it through, put it into the blender and whirred it until the "desired consistency" then poured it back into the pot and added a smidgeon of heavy cream. My darling husband had the brilliant suggestion of adding crushed red pepper (really a must) and that was that! Served with cheese crostadas, or simply good old grilled cheese it can't be beat.

The awesome corn chowder is possibly even easier. This one started with an actualy recipe I had for southwestern corn chowder, but hit its final simplicity when I couldn't even be bothered to make that recipe fully. This simple corn chowder is utterly basic: sautee your mirapoix (a fancier way of saying carrots, onion, and celery - i.e. your standard fridge veggies) and you can do potato too, but I actually forgot it last time and it was still great after all corn has plenty of starch in it. Next add some chicken stock (again not homemade in my case) and some thyme, cook until desired consistency. Add LOTS of corn (either leftovers from corn on the cob, or frozen works great) and a dollop of heavy cream (doesn't havy cream make everything better?). THE ONLY SECRET: jalapeno. Yes, a diced jalapeno added in with your mirapoix at the beginning is what makes this soup lip smacking delicious. Jalapenos are a new ingredient in my life, and I must just say my life is better for having them. Now, to be sure, most chowders, including the original recipe I learned, includes bacon in the chowder. This is yummy, but I have to admit, I actually prefer it without. For one thing, I can't be bothered to stink up the kitchen frying bacon (our range hood is pretty much worthless) just to add a little smokiness to some easy vegetable soup, but also I honestly feel that bacon, although DELICIOUS on its own, tends to overpower other ingredients, especially in a summer soup like this one. Anyway, I served this chowder with some yummy and very easy beer-thyme biscuits (even easier than normal biscuits, because you add melted butter instead of cutting in cold butter - plus there's beer in them) - hurrah for more simple suppers!!

p.s. messybessy, I would love a recipe for that peasant bread -done in 2 hours?!
p.p.s. I know that the corn chowder also lacks a little something which is extremely important to all Pease women - that is protein. What can I say... have a slice of cheese with it or a ham sandwich or something...

2 comments:

messy bessy said...

will post the recipe very soon.

messy bessy said...

BTW, I can't wait to try your soups! Yum!