Friday, July 17, 2009

A homemade meal


Meatless Fridays all through the year have been a hard thing for me to do. This is silly, since I love a great many kinds of vegetarian dishes, and have made many since learning to cook. However, meat is definitely the easiest to eat since you just bake it and serve...

Here's the dinner I made tonight though: What I'm calling "Spirit of Minnesota Soup" and Peasant Bread that I started at 4:30 and put on the table, still warm, at 6:30.

The soup is actually leftover soup. I took chicken broth that I needed to use up, added frozen cooked wild rice, frozen diced tomatoes, a few carrots and potatoes, a can of white beans, and the leftover yellow peppers out of a salad from yesterday. Oh, and some oregano from the garden. With salt, pepper, and a little thyme it was completely delicious.

The bread is so good. The recipe is from something called the Homeschooling Journal (or similar title) and it is little reflections on homeschooling a large family, and included are some recipes and ideas for various dinners. The key with this bread is that you don't need to be careful about it. It should get eaten the day it's baked, and you tear it up instead of slicing it. Yum!

No comments: